Friday, August 23, 2013

On Reconciliation

I've learned about all these social justice movements and talked about what it means to seek societal reconciliation. There generally is a component of forgiveness or apology.

Then there are all these sayings like "To forgive is to set a prisoner free and realize that prisoner was you" [Lewis B. Smedes]. I always get the general gist of what the saying means but what happens if forgiveness is not enough? I can work on forgiveness which to me means I let go of bitterness I feel toward a person and accept their shortcomings. However, it is my belief that reconciliation extends beyond forgiveness. There has to be work on relationship. Before I can enter into a relationship with someone, I must know that they will not wrong me in such a way that it threatens the very foundation of who I am as a person. I'm not talking about someone looking at me the wrong way or forgetting to pay me back. I'm talking about dehumanizing me as an individual. Sometimes we just cannot be reconciled with a person unless they are willing to do their part and that right there is the problem. If they do not do their part, what happens next?

While I figure out the answer, I will rely on God, myself, and those I love to give me the strength and fearlessness to move on with life. For I am committed to living my life in such a way that I go forth without fear and with a willingness to be open to being in a relationship with all those individuals that cross my path. This will be my prayer moving forward.


No comments:

Post a Comment